Question on Cutting Out 10 ft Drift Pram

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

chrishansen

Question on Cutting Out 10 ft Drift Pram

Post by chrishansen »

I just started building the Glen L 10 foot Drift Pram. I'm in the process of cutting out the parts from plywood sheets. On the Glen L material utilization sheet it shows a MID SEAT TOP and an AFT SEAT TOP . These two items aren't shown on the full scale plans. Are these two items just custom measured later and cut out roughly in the space shown on the utilization sheet? I'm confused. Is there a Glen Lhelp line or phone number i can call or does someone know the answer?

Chris
Attachments
glenlsheet.jpg

chrishansen

Re: Question on Cutting Out 10 ft Drift Pram

Post by chrishansen »

C'mon Guys. This can't be that diifficult a question to answer.

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

Everyone sets up a boat differently. Most of the cases when your boat is full size, we use scrap woods and make templetes for the area that needs a part cut. Its also quite possible that other people that have built the boat in the past are not looking in and saw your question. When doing inside parts, I use scrap pieces thats actually laying around and secure them in the area that needs a part. Many folks use more fancy ways, but this is simple and quick. When I am done, I run fasteners from the back side and then remove the fasteners that I put in, so that I don't confuse myself with flipping over the templete on plywoods that has one good face, if apllicable.

You can also use 1/4" luan, clamped together with liteweight clamps and use a glue gun too on flat surfaces without the requirement of clamps. Makes sure that you have one good straight edge on your parts, or close to straight as you can get for scrap pieces thats laying around from other parts.

A point of note, along the hull sides for wider boards or parts like casting decks, the outside edges will end up needing to be a bit of a curve in all boats. So for those types of parts, you may need several pieces in wider applications to make the templete.
Attachments
DSC06856.JPG

chrishansen

Post by chrishansen »

Oyster,

Thank you for your reply. The question I'm trying to get answered is whether or not the two parts (Seat Tops) in question have to be custom measured and cut. The Material Utilization sheets clearly show where they are to be layed out and cut from. The problem is that those parts aren't on the full size plans and everything else shown is. I don't mind making my own measurements later and cutting them out. I just want to know if that's the case. I was hoping someone from Glen L would step in here and make that clarifiaction.

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

Well its quite possible that the amount of material allocated for the seats on the plans will indeed work when you get ready. No one that I really know cuts parts to the exact lines appointed on the cut out schedule, but only used for efficent use of your materials. People need to use some care and judgement and plan to refine fits when placing the parts in 3=D. This is normally the case. Whether you get a reply from the folks at Glen=L, I think that most plans and layouts are for roughing in. There are areas in parts like the frame and stem patterns that still needs to be properly setup fair and correct by the user of such guidlines. There are numerous other ways inwhich people layout boats and set them up beginning with lofting full size, a step that for the most part is skipped.

If you want to go ahead and cut the parts rough cutting the parts, then by all means go ahead. But my previous post gives you an alternative and until you get the hull built, I personally have no way to tell you that the part cut to the lines will indeed fit after you have things built in place.

People create the boat in 3=d rendering on floors and then transfer the shapes right down to the eighths of inches and then when the parts are placed in place use hand planes and sanders to refine even those parts. In almost all cases these parts created are also cut to the fat side of the lines and cleaned up with a lofting batten on jigs and strongack. If you will look at the building frame thread you will see the beginning process also in 3=D.
Remember that people also alter or change layouts. Thats the luxuary of building your own boat, hince this may also be the reason for items left off.

chrishansen

Post by chrishansen »

Oyster,

I appreciate your prompt reply. I will use scrap parts and make a template for the seat tops. Thank you for your thorough answer and invaluable knowledge.

God bless,

chris

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Scrap :?: I thought that was called "Saw Dust" :!:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Human Power”