Canyak What wood for frame, etc.

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

bkiley

Canyak What wood for frame, etc.

Post by bkiley »

Hi,

I was going to build the canyak. I want to make sure it's not too heavy. I build the tuffy before and used Mahogany. Mahogany is heavy. I plan on using 3mm/4mm plywood, but not sure about the rest. Any ideas on what else I could use?

Oyster

Re: Canyak What wood for frame, etc.

Post by Oyster »

A lot of people use fir in the smaller hulls. Most of the time it really depends on your location. Cypress, or even yellow pine can be used for any solid wood parts. For some of the trim areas, western red cedar for areas thats not meant for structual parts maybe okay.

bkiley

Post by bkiley »

Fir, as in the regular fir from the local Depot or Lowes?

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

bkiley wrote:Fir, as in the regular fir from the local Depot or Lowes?
Fir comes in a wide range of quality. I normally begin by looking for the widest board thats sold. It maybe that the price sounds outlandish. But the reason I do this is that most lumber is flat sawn thats locally avaliable. For this reason I will cut rails and longituals off the sides where the grain is such that you minimize checking out or splintering when bent. You can use some of the center area in flat sawn lumber for smaller seat supports or coamings in short lengths too. If you need a better explaination there is a complete section on the main page for the sponsor beginning here. Your location in your profile would help. This also allows us and others to offer different sources that may have a better selection thats been found from past experiences.

http://www.glen-l.com/wood-plywood/bb-chap5b.html

Return to “Human Power”