Scull boat, plan question...

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

NCSUDucker

Scull boat, plan question...

Post by NCSUDucker »

I purchased the scull boat a couple of years ago and am finally looking at it as a winter project. The plan set includes a blue print, the patterns and the "building the scull boat" packet which describes each of the parts and has helpful tips but unless I'm missing something there is no "sequence sheet", ie what should be done first. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance,
Brad

BruceDow

Re: Scull boat, plan question...

Post by BruceDow »

Hi Brad.

Are you talking about the Glen-L Sculling Skiff?

I am not familiar with the contents of that plan set, but if it is a stitch and glue boat, my basic advice would be to build from the bottom up.

Start by cutting out any bulkheads, and the main panels for the bottom, and work your way up from there.

My plans came with a basic instruction set, but our standard advice is to get the book "Boatbuilding with Plywood". I has all the background of how the different types of plywood boats go together.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

NCSUDucker

Post by NCSUDucker »

No its the Glen L Scull Boat, its plywood on frame construction. Here's a link to the plans, http://www.glen-l.com/designs/special/scullboat.html

Thanks,
Brad

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow »

Ah.

You are right. I missed that on the list of plans.

Basic order of operations will be:...

Building form
Frames
Chines
Shears
Battens
Limbers
Bottom
Sides
etc.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

NCSUDucker

Post by NCSUDucker »

Appreciate the input Bruce. I've got the "Building the Scull Boat" packet and thats pretty much the order listed in their but with my limited experience with a few other designs the plans were laid out more like, "Start by...then...and so on" sequentially.

Brad

Return to “Human Power”