Cant get strips long enough

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

F3RR3T

Cant get strips long enough

Post by F3RR3T »

i can only get my cedar strips in 12' length's whats the best way to join the strips when putting them around the forms on the canoe

BruceDow

Re: Cant get strips long enough

Post by BruceDow »

Hi F3RR3T

Welcome.

I don't know if this is the "best" way, but I just butt-joined them. I made sure that the butt-joints were on a station mould, and that they were well-spaced (I tried not to have a butt joint on a particular station within four or five strips of another such joint).
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

All across this country lumberyards sells western red cedar, a choice wood for canoes. Normally this comes in planks in widths from 4 inch to 12 inch which is also used for home building trim. If you cannot get this or your choice is not WRC, use long angled scarfs to join the strips, a common practice for strip building methods.

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

I also saw your post on another board with an inquiry about the amount of resin. Its quite possible if you ask here there maybe someone that can also answer your question, especially if its a Glen=L plan. You could also ask Glen=L since they also sell the resin and normally will give you an answer also.

Return to “Human Power”