problems with a canoe project

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

Robert barclay

problems with a canoe project

Post by Robert barclay »

Is there anyone out there building or has built a canoe?

I need some advise. I'm setting up to build a chippewa model canoe. Having finished the building frame and cut out the forms I think I did something wrong. Here's the trouble: The drawings seem to show a perfectly flat inner keel running from stem to stem. But when I set everything up, the stems are an inch or so lower at each end from the level of the frames. This means pulling the keel down to mate with the stems, which causes the keel to bow out of the two inner forms.

I don't think that's right, and I'm at a stand while I figure it out. I've remeasured the forms and the stems, checked the leveling on the form, carefully marked and confirmed the center lines etc. It just doesn't look like the canoe should be bowed like it is.

Barry, with Glen-L marine answered an email on the subject asking if I had joined the boatbuilders connection, and did I have enough epoxy. Both helpful hints I'm sure but a bit off the topic. I fear I may have an unlimited supply of epoxy because I don't think I'll ever glue anything to this keel. Barry if you're reading this, I appreciate the answer but one more to the point would have been even more gratefully recieved.

Any ideas?

Barry

Post by Barry »

Robert,

That stuff about epoxy and the Boatbuilder Connection is part of the signature block. The answer was that there are setup levels given on the stem patterns. The answer was short and if that doesn't do it, let me know. We have been trying to get the new shopping cart ready and email-answering has gotten behind.

Robert barclay

Post by Robert barclay »

THanks for the reply. IO know there are setup levels on the stem patterns. I transcribed the set up marks on the stems and marked them. I removed the stems from the frame and laid them over the pattern again and the set up level is accurate. I did the same for the two inner forms and they match to the pattern as well.

My question is, "Is the keel supposed to lay flat from stem to stem? If so, then I need to do another set of forms and figure out where I went wrong. If on the other hand the stems are supposed to be in a lower plane than the building forms, then I have a different problem.

The basic question is then, is the keel flat and level, or is there a curve to the keel?

Robert barclay

Post by Robert barclay »

By the way, I didn't understand that Barry's reply was part of a signature, thus the sarcastic comments, for which I apologize.

auto5pilot

A small hint

Post by auto5pilot »

The only thing I have to go by is the line drawing shown in the boat plans section. It looks like the bottom is quite flat. I'm not sure if you could really tell if it was only 1 inch though. If you are using a cold-molding technique (cedar strips) you might tie a couple strips down to each frame station and see how it looks. Do the directions say anything about fastening the strips to the frame durring construction?

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

OK, if you go to the Project Registry and look up Chippewa you'll find a few builders and their email addresses, most are a few years old and may not be current, but one is dated 02-02-05. I suggest you drop them a line and see if they've had the same problem, sounds like that latest builder is about 10 weeks ahead of you so should have encountered, and hopefully solved this by now!
Graham in Shepperton, England

Good, Quick, Cheap, pick any two.

Barry

Post by Barry »

I have re-read you question. You assume something is wrong, because the bottom should be staight. The assumption is wrong.
Hold a straight-edge to the bottom on the plan sheet. You will see that it is not a straight line.

Visually the amount of rocker will vary, depending on which length you build.

Robert barclay

Post by Robert barclay »

Thanks to all who responded. I feel like I can move on with the project now. Barry says the bottom isn't perfecly flat, and another person advised me to use one of the veneer sheets to tiel the keel down. I'll try that and post the result for those interested. I'm going to hit the p registry as well. Maybe I can help someone in the future.

Thanks everyone.roject

donald-deen

Post by donald-deen »

I HAVE A PROBLEM REGARDING THE INNER SHEER. THE END OF THE STEM IS ANGLED AND THE PLANS SHOW THE INNER SHEER ATTACHED PARALLEL TO THE EDGE OF THE STEM. HOW CAN I GET THAT KIND OF BOW IN THE INNER SHEER BETWEEN #2 FROM AND THE STEM? SHOULD I ATTACH THE SHEER TO THE STEM FIRST AND THEN BOW IT OUT TO THE EDGE OF THE FORMS? I NOTICED IN SOME OF THE PICTURES THAT THE SHEERS HAVE BEEN ATTACHED TO THE LEADING EDGE OF THE STEM AND NOT PARALLEL WITH IT. WONDERING

BILL PEACOCK
CHIPPEWA

Return to “Human Power”