Sliding Seat Unit

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

smithn00

Sliding Seat Unit

Post by smithn00 »

The last line of the instructions calls for "hold down bolt" holes in the runners. I don't see those on the plans. Help please.
Ned Smith

RayB

Post by RayB »

I'll check my plans to see if I can see anything. What I did, however, was to add a small piece of 1/2" wood (2"'x3"x1/2" laid flat) to the front and rear cross members. I drilled a 1/2" hole in these pieces and then sunk brass inserts at three different positions (6 inserts total) along the keel so I can bolt the sliding seat unit to the inserts.

RayB

Post by RayB »

Like you said, I could not see anything on the plans specifying where to place the holes for the hold down bolts. My guess is that the "runner supports" they are referring to are the fore and aft runner cross members. Holes could be drilled down through those pieces and 3" or 4" bolts used to secure the unit.

I got the impression from other posts that the sliding seat was originally designed for the Glen-L rowing scull. If, like me, you are using it for another design, you may have to be creative with your own mounting system. I am putting mine in the "LIZ" designed by Ken Bassett. It is an 18' x 3' lapstrake pulling boat with an essentially round bottom. So, I had to significantly modify the mounting.

Return to “Human Power”