Carbon Fiber & Kevlar Canoe

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

Scott

Carbon Fiber & Kevlar Canoe

Post by Scott »

Does anyone know where to get a wicked carbon fiber and kevlar 14-16 foot canoe for two?

I'm going to be going back to Algonquin Park in April so I need something less than 60lbs like before. Which our portage was 2 hours mostly up hill.

I'm hoping to get one in the 30lbs range not spending more than $3000.

Can anyone help me out?
Thun.der.bolt
ˈTHəndərˌbōlt

A flash of lightning with a simultaneous crash of thunder.

An ignition system of early Mercury outboards that not only is a nightmare to diagnose but also improves a marine mechanics competency.

razopp

Post by razopp »

Scott,

Since you are posting on a boatbuilding site, I might recommend the "How To Build Your Own Kevlar Canoe" by Moran. I own the book and it has plans for three canoes (solo, family, and a 17' tripper). The book has a Yahoo group with several active builders and there are links to several builders sites. I know they use them in the boundary waters regularly and can provide feedback on the actual canoes. There is also information in the book on using an existing boat for a mold. Just a thought...

I would bet you could find something on Craigslist in the pricerange you wanted.

Robert

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow »

Every Fall, Swift Canoe sells off their summer demo and rental fleet.

I just checked, and that sale is this weekend.

http://www.swiftcanoe.com/events/index.htm

I've rented Kevlar tripping canoes from them in the past, and it is easy to carry one of their canoes and a decently loaded pack at the same time.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

Return to “Human Power”