Build Sea Kayak In Iraq??

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

Mattraq

Build Sea Kayak In Iraq??

Post by Mattraq »

Greetings All,
I'm a Contractor working in Iraq and I have a large shop in which I think I would like to build the 17ft Sea Kayak. I have done many "unprofessional" wood projects but this would be a great challenge . Might be a challenge shipping it home also. Anyway, my choice of plywood is limited to whatever I can bum off the structure guys though I'm pretty sure I can get the correct thickness and I guess I only need 3 sheets. The other part of course is getting all the supplies shipped out here. I want to order the DVD so I can get an idea of what I'm getting into and then if I'm still game I can gather all the supplies when I'm home for R&R (in Nov) and box them up and ship them out here. I really don't know if I could/would ship it home when I'm done. Besides, if I did one out here I could do another when I get home which of course would be better than the first. I think right now the DVD is the first step. Anyway, I may come to ya'll here for a little help. Matt

kens

Post by kens »

As a contractor myself, I would be worried about shipping the final product out of there.
Why not take on a bigger power boat, you could build a frame kit, and ship that, then complete it at home.

Mattraq

Post by Mattraq »

Well, couple reasons actually. One I want something small and not too complicated and that I can finish. It would be great practice for future projects. Second, is I like Kayaks and when I am finally done with this contracting work I plan to do a solo Kayak trip down the Mississippi River and maybe I'll use a boat that I built instead of buying one. I can't make that decision though till one is completed and I'm ready for the trip. No time soon. Third, power boats cost money.LOL and I have so many other things I want that a powerboat is further down on the list although someday I could see myself wanting a baot with a motor. Right I have to stay simple. I kinda doubt I will be able to ship it home but thats okay because just having a project like that out here will make it worth the time and little bit of money.
Matt

Return to “Human Power”