**Started** Sea Kayak Two in 1.5 weeks **Started**

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

boat-bill-der

Re: **Started** Sea Kayak Two in 1.5 weeks **Started**

Post by boat-bill-der »

Just got the glen-l kayak trailer plans, and I was a little dissapointed (only a little)...

If anyone remembers, I replaced the axle of my harbor freight boat trailer with a high quality aftermarket axle and real 12" wheels. This leaves me with an extra axle and 8" wheels that I wanted to put to use.

I figured the Glen-L plans were for building a trailer from scratch, and I would use that axle but the plans recommend buying a utility trailer and converting it, which quite honestly I would rather do anyway.

So, I just bought the HF Utility 40X48 trailer with 12" wheels, and just need to lengthen the tongue smf build the kayak cradle.

Still need a use for the other axle...

I'll keep you all updated.

~Bill

boat-bill-der

Post by boat-bill-der »

This thing is freaking huge!

I still haven't taken it out yet, and I am struggling to move this thing around, work on it and put it away without scratching my paint, but here's my side project that was spawned by this 'yak. Still need to varnish the bright patches...

Hopefully this trailer will at least help me get it out this weekend so I can float it and set my balance points...

boat-bill-der

Post by boat-bill-der »

Test run yesterday!

Handled pretty good, given the 25mph winds and 2ft chop on the reservoir, as long as I didn't get broadside to the wind...

Better pics to come after the varnish and finishing touches.

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Yea Bill!!
Looks great.

We just bought two sea kayaks this w/e & tried them out yesterday....going out again today.

Warren 8)

boat-bill-der

Post by boat-bill-der »

Nice!

I don't think I could do two days in a row... My shoulders and back are so sore.

(It might help if the wind wasn't over 25mph)

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

You may want to take a beginners class in kayaking.

We did & they showed different paddle types(YES IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!).

How to exit & enter a yak from the beach & dock.

How to exit if you flip,& re-enter from deep water(several ways to do it).

Different paddle strokes& turns

Basic class was $69 here & well worth it.

I know it seems what's the big deal,but it really does make a difference (to us as a family anyway) :)

When you get out there& stop,coast& crack a cold one& watch the sun set...you'll know why you went through the bother of building & learning(or a peaceful morning& a cold one!! :wink: )

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow »

Congratulations on the launch. The width of your grin says it all.

That is a big, long 'yak for one person to handle in a wind.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

Nice job Bill, was that at San Pablo reservoir? I use to take my first homebuilt boat there with the electric trolling motor fishing. The wind really blows up that canyon I bet you did get a good workout with the paddle. I used my oars some on that first boat I think I rowed from the dam to the launch docks at the south end once and that was enough for me. You should take the yak up to the Delta Meadows State Park sometime, I hear it is a great place to yak. I had Pegasus out Saturday too, it was great and she is running great this year.

boat-bill-der

Post by boat-bill-der »

Got another chance to take it out two weeks ago, but I have been too busy to post.

I still need a spray skirt, carpet or padding on the interior to cover up my fillets, and some seat cushions as the final touches, but I think I'm just about done building for this season. Time to enjoy it!

I picked up a great book with maps and routes based on the local tide/wind patterns so I am looking forward to touring the SF Bay this summer.

Some great stories were made on this trip, most notably the 4-6" deep creek we had to cruise through for 200 yards to get out in the Sac river, the dog jumping out thinking he was going to hit solid ground and the extremely confused look on his face after he was buried up to his chest in thick sloppy mud, and having to jump out to save him and push my wife through the final 20 yards of mud.

Anyway, one quick pic for now...

Thanks to everyone who followed this thread and the encouraging words!

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Yea,enjoy they are fun!!!

Two youtubes from two of our outings first one Debbie wrote & sang the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1sDk9cUIrE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Yn4XKS ... re=related

boat-bill-der

Post by boat-bill-der »

Those are great pics!

I hope to find some nice calm backwater places to explore around here, since they seem like the most peaceful and interesting.

I want to get out on some of the estuaries of the SF bay, but to get to most of them you have to get through some potentially challenging water with very unpredictable and quickly changing conditions.

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow »

Hi Bill.

Thanks for the pics. The boat looks great.

Is there such a thing as a spray skirt for that cockpit? Most tandems have two separate cockpits.

You will probably need to get one custom-made. (two people, in one skirt... custom-fitted to the size of your opening... with the people openings spaced for your seating).

It would also be interesting to have two people get in and out of the 'yak when joined with one common skirt.

(remember... you put the skirt on you first, then get in the boat, then fit it around the coaming)

I am designing in my head here, but you might be able to do two half-skirts that join up with velcro. Your partner could get in the front, then you could get in the back, and connect the velcro seam and the bungee draw-string. It wouldn't be completely water-tight, but it would shed any waves that breached the deck.

do you normally paddle alone, or in a group? If alone, and if you haven't practiced self-rescue, I share your caution about heading into big water.

But... these kayaks are remarkably stable because the COG is so low. I remember crossing the Johnstone straight between Vancouver Island and the Mainland in about a five foot swell. I was always very comfortable in the boat - it glides smoothly up and down the swells - but it was freaky to see your paddling companions, then see just water, then see your paddling companions, then just see water.
Bruce.

~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow »

One more thing...

For the seats, I recommend you see if you can find a couple of blocks of "Minicell" foam.

You can shape the bottom to match the vee in your bilge, and the top to match the cheeks of your butt.

It cuts and shapes easily, and ends up the texture of suede. I hold mine to the bilge with velcro.

http://www.noahsboatbuilding.com/noahma ... I3&eq=&Tp=

For my kayaks, I also moulded 4" x 10" lumbar supports from thin plywood, and covered them with minicell as well. I rigged up some strapping from under the deck to support it. Pushing the small of your back onto the lumber supports makes a HUGE difference to your comfort on a long paddle. (sorry - no pictures of that detail right now... the boats are up at the lake - if you want one, let me know, and I'll try to remember next time I am up there.)

(Or, you can just buy a commercial kayak seat with a built-in back-rest)

http://www.noahsboatbuilding.com/noahma ... LB&eq=&Tp=

(I had a quick scan of the Glen-L catalog, and didn't see one there)

B.
Bruce.

Dow's Monaco Project

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Hey Bruce,

If you can,post some pics of your Kayaks here,I think I saw some pics a wile back,but I wasn't into them then.

Warren

Return to “Human Power”