**Started** Sea Kayak Two in 1.5 weeks **Started**

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

GeorgeD

Post by GeorgeD »

Thanks for the encouragement... I wasn't sure if anyone was actually reading, but since there was no Sea Kayak build, I figured I would document it.
Hi Bill,

I, for one, am checking in daily to see your progress! I cant wait to see the result and I am now thinking maybe one of these might be my next project (if I ever finish my Zip that is!).

All the best,
GeorgeD
What's the rush? Getting it finished?!
Zip project started: January 2008
Project site: http://www.hartdale.co.uk/blog/

boat-bill-der

Post by boat-bill-der »

Bruce, your 'yak looks great!

I am not surprised though having seen your other work on the Monaco.

Someday I'll slow down and get a real high quality fit and finish, but I guess I have a little bit of a need for instant gratification!

I really don't even know what I'll do with this thing when I am done, I just really wanted to build it before I start commuting, but I guess it would have been a great stress reliever after sitting the SF bay area traffic!

Thanks George for the compliments as well. In case you all missed the link, there are more detailed pictures posted here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/bill.levien/SeaKayak#

I will be posting day 6 pictures shortly, but my progress is slowing down...

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Bill,
For what it's worth I've enjoyed both your builds....keep up the pics.

I've been thinking of adding a kayak to the fleet...I just earned one as a safe driving award& used it this w/e(It's an Old Town Otter sit-in,not Glen-L,but still fun)

You will have fun with it just being on the water & it's amazing the wildlife you can sneak up on

boat-bill-der

Post by boat-bill-der »

Deleted Duplicate Post...
Last edited by boat-bill-der on Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boat-bill-der

Post by boat-bill-der »

Alright, so as i mentioned, I really hit a wall, but here's where I am at...

I always try to epoxy something every night before I go to bed, since that is the best time for glue to dry without much down time so I stitched the front deck in place this afternoon, and tacked it not too long ago. Also keeps me motivated.

I'll pull the stitches first thing in the morning, try to tack the mid-decks before I go to work. Then come home and pull those stitches, and work on the rear deck.

I am hoping by Wednesday night I'll have the deck fully glued in place, corners radiused, faired, and ready for interior fillets and exterior glass.

The exterior tape and glass is the step I am dreading the most, but I usually find that if you mix the epoxy, it kind of motivates you to get stuff done. I also didn't anticipate the cost. It looks like the exterior cloth is going to run me at least $75 and I am running up on my wife's imposed credit limit for this month.

Another big thing I realized is that my wife's car can't carry the Kayak, and my Jeep CJ7 can't either unless I go with no top, and rig something up so I might not even have a way of getting this thing to the water!!!

Anyway, here's the latest pics. Fortunately, I am not worried about my deck/side planking seams since I plan to paint most of them and over the seams:

I should be able to clean up the chine and keel lines pretty easily. Not too bad, but definitely needs a date with the belt sander for some fairing.

Stitched

Glued

Brian Eager

Post by Brian Eager »

Bill,

This kayak is not super heavy, right? You should be able to rig a cartop rack that will be adequate to get you to the water.

Back in the '70's I had a rack to carry my 17 foot Folbot kayak, and it was probably close to 200 pounds.(Had a very heavy coat of glass/mat)
This was on a 1968 Chevrolet Impala, so yes, full size car.

It was all 2 men could do to lift it up on top, and I had a winch and pulley arrangement set up to swing it off the car when in the garage.
Noah was a first-time boatbuilder

boat-bill-der

Buttoned Up!

Post by boat-bill-der »

I tacked the whole deck in place and attached all the butt blocks last night and removed the stitches this morning, so my deck is on! I still need to fill the gaps where the stitches were, fillet and tape the bulkheads inside the cockpit so that the compartments really are water tight, and I think i'll tape the deck to the sides from inside the cockpit, but not inside the compartments.

I am going to cut out and attach the coaming today, trim the deck to the coaming (i left it oversize, meaning the cockpit is undersized as per the plans)

I see a lot of sanding in my future!

I would love to get all my tape on tomorrow, then start glassing friday after my last day of work at my current job!

Sheer Seam Stitching, looking aft

Forward Bulkhead looking from the rear of the cockpit

Rear Bulkhead from the front of the cockpit

Top view with all fasteners removed

Nice sharp bow lines

Closeup of butted seams and cockpit

boat-bill-der

Post by boat-bill-der »

Brian Eager wrote:Bill,

This kayak is not super heavy, right? You should be able to rig a cartop rack that will be adequate to get you to the water.

Back in the '70's I had a rack to carry my 17 foot Folbot kayak, and it was probably close to 200 pounds.(Had a very heavy coat of glass/mat)
This was on a 1968 Chevrolet Impala, so yes, full size car.

It was all 2 men could do to lift it up on top, and I had a winch and pulley arrangement set up to swing it off the car when in the garage.
Brian - 200 lbs!?!?! I think it will be +-80 lbs, is my guess... I had to use heavier 1/4" ply instead of 4mm because I couldn't get it. I can rig something up on my jeep when the top is off, but with a soft top it's not possible because of the support bows.

If it was a normal car, I would try it but my wifes car has a full glass roof (Scion tC), and I wouldn't risk breaking that thing... It's probably expensive as hell to replace. Also, the only roof rack I can get has the crossbars at 22" apart front to back, which I don't believe is wide enough to support the yak properly.

I want to buy a 3rd car, maybe an old grand cherokee to tow the other boat, lug this boat out to the water, and a nice trunk for the dog, but that's difficult for obvious reasons... I am sure I'll figure something out :-)

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow »

boat-bill-der wrote: I can rig something up on my jeep when the top is off, but with a soft top it's not possible because of the support bows.
Does the jeep have a trailer hitch adapter? (hint)

The deck looks great! Keep the pictures coming.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

boat-bill-der

Post by boat-bill-der »

Sorry I dropped off for af ew days, but my camera broke and I had to put a new radiator in my jeep, as well as replace the thermostat, etc...

I am starting my new job bright and early, so this will be quick.

I am considering it a success, since my hulli s complete (minus the final exterior fiberglass sheathing :oops:)

Since last time I:

1. Taped all internal and external seams

2. Cut and shaped pieces for coaming

3. Cut out seat and support pieces

4. Made the 4 blades for my two paddles

I might take my time finishing this one, but I think I accompolished what I wanted by getting most of the construction out of the way. Hope to be done in a few weeks to take advantage of our warm fall weather.

Thanks for tuning in, and thanks for the support! I'll keep the pics coming, but they will be much slower from now on...

GeorgeD

Post by GeorgeD »

Great work in such a short amount of time, Bill.

Good luck with the new job. Watch out it doesnt happen to you like it has to me with my new job - no time left for boat building! :(
What's the rush? Getting it finished?!
Zip project started: January 2008
Project site: http://www.hartdale.co.uk/blog/

boat-bill-der

Post by boat-bill-der »

Still making progress, but man this new job is crazy! So glad I started the build before, otherwise I wouldn't have ever started.

Major Construction and fiberglass is done, and here's where I am at:

1. Bottom fiberglassed (taped seams, then cloth over top), just need another coat or 2 to fill the weave, and give me my base to sand without cutting the cloth.

2. Seat and Coaming are cut, but need to be installed.

3. Interior is 90% filleted and glassed. Just need to cover a few more feet of the sheer/deck joint

4. Hatch openings are cut. Need to seal the deck (no cloth) with a few coats of epoxy, get it nice and smooth, varnish and install hatches.

Pics:

This just shows that you don't have to be precise... Epoxy hides alot, especially when you are going to paint the bottom :-)

boat-bill-der

Post by boat-bill-der »

I thought i'd take advantage of the 70* weather this weekend and get a few coats of paint on the 'yak...

I sanded and put down the first coat of primer saturday morning. Then sanded again and wiped down with brushing liquid as directed.

When I applied the first coat of blue today, i thinned it by less than 5% and it dried very horribly (see below). I am hoping this sands off easily and the next coat doesn't do this next weekend.

Thoughts?

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Did you use the same brand primer and paint?

Supposed to be compatible???

Looks like when you paint something like lacquer over enamel,or something"hot"(for lack of better term) over something softer

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Was wondering how your build was coming along....we are getting into Kayaks too,but buying instead of building at this point.

Return to “Human Power”