Glen-L Sliding Rowing Seat - Plan Question

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

RayB

Glen-L Sliding Rowing Seat - Plan Question

Post by RayB »

I was just starting to build the Glen-L sliding rowing seat today. There is a note on the plan to cut out a notch (approx. 1/4" x 13") near the fore end of the runners for a "bottom butt block". I can't find any reference any where else in the instructions or the plans for a bottom butt block. It appears that this is an unnecessary cut out and possibly a mistake in the plan. I would appreciate it if someone might be able to shed some light on this.

Thanks!

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Does the design call for longer bottom panels that have to be joined?

If so,you need to either do this by using a butt joint,in which case you would need room on inside for a butt block,hence the notch to allow space for it,or by scarfing the panels together.

If you scarf plywood panels together,you don't need the inside butt blocks.

There are how-to references on this site for butt joints.

Hope that sheads some light!!! :wink:

RayB

Post by RayB »

Thanks for the reply UPSPIRATE, but that is not the situation. The notch is cut into the runners which are solid 1x4 lumber - no joints. The runners stand up on edge and the notch is cut out of the bottom so it's full dimensions are 3/4" x1/4" x 13". I know how butt blocks are used and I just can't see any need for it and as I said it is not mentioned anywhere else in the plans or instructions. I'm beginning to think it is for a bottom board that facilitates mounting the rig to the bottom of the boat.

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Ray,

The Sliding Seat was designed for our Sculling Skiff design which has a butt block that the runners would need to be notched for. Don't worry about it if you aren't building the Sculling Skiff... sorry for the confusion.
Gayle Brantuk
Glen L Witt's daughter
Past Glen-L Marine President

RayB

Post by RayB »

Thanks for the follow-up Gayle!

stumpy

Post by stumpy »

My limited experience with Glen-l plans has taught me that, if you run across a direction that you can't see any possible reason for, and think it should be disregarded, follow the directions. If it's still not clear as to why, it will be later. If it's still not clear later, rest assured you have a better boat than if you had disregarded it. Yes, I am speaking from experience, but I was able to save that project, and correct the mistake eventually.

Return to “Human Power”