Handy Andy... Folding Rowboat - Has anyone else built one?

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

innovadjc

Handy Andy... Folding Rowboat - Has anyone else built one?

Post by innovadjc »

I found an old set of plans for the "Handy Andy" folding rowboat and am planning on giving it a shot. I've done plenty of woodworking but this is my first attempt at building a boat, and this isn't exactly a simple one to start with but it's perfect for my lack of storage space and desire to take it on camping trips in the back of my mini van. :D

Any tips?
I'm planning on using marine grade plywood as well as a special heavy duty vinyl for the folding points and transom (much tougher than the canvas they call for in the plans). I'd really appreciate any tips, tricks, warnings you can provide before I get started. I'm planning on starting the project around 3/8/08.

Here's the link to the plans I'm working from.
http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=RowBoats/HandyAndy

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave

auto5pilot

I studied it quite a bit

Post by auto5pilot »

I would make sure that the vinyl you are using has a fiber core to it. It will need to withstand repeated bending and abrasions. I decided not to build one since I could build a car-topper that would give a much better life span.

John Bowen

Post by John Bowen »

Kind'a like this one. The ten foot sells for ONLY 1,700!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

Let us know how ya get along with that build.
One day.

innovadjc

Post by innovadjc »

John Bowen wrote:Kind'a like this one. The ten foot sells for ONLY 1,700!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

Let us know how ya get along with that build.
Yeah that's basically what I'm building. So far it's coming along pretty well. I've got the floor done and the sides up with the transom installed. Next is the part that's got me worried, the seams on the sides and nose. I think it will work fine I just need to take my time and try not to rush it. It at least looks like a boat at this point :) I'll post some photos when it's all done.

Thanks,
Dave

innovadjc

Post by innovadjc »

Well it works. The Handy Andy instructions have some errors and leave a lot to be worked out on your own so don't just think you can print them up and build this thing. I actually redesigned quite a bit of it but the basics are the same. That said, you can see it worked pretty well. I still haven't had a chance to take any photos of it folded up but I will soon.

Thanks,
Dave

[/img]

John Bowen

Post by John Bowen »

innovadjc wrote: and leave a lot to be worked out on your own
I've read the vary same else where, on those free plans from Svensons. But, it looks like ya worked it out.

Nice build there Dave, thanks for sharing.
One day.

innovadjc

Post by innovadjc »

Yeah, I'm really happy with it. Now I'm just trying to convince the wife to let me buy a trolling motor for it :)

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Take her out in it & you row downwind,& have her row back upwind telling her it's only fair & wouldn't this be much easier with a motor??? :wink:

Antiqua

Folding dinghies

Post by Antiqua »

Return to “Human Power”