pitogue

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

john

pitogue

Post by john »

:?: first attempt, anyone done one? will it float a fat old man - almost 300 pounds? what is meant by -sampling of application tools- mentioned in the s and g kit and the fiberglass kit? is it as simple as the advertising would have one think?

john

Post by john »

hope this guy can build better than he can spell :!:

kalbo

I thought about that

Post by kalbo »

I thought about that myself. I decided, being old and fat, to go with something a bit bigger. What are you going to use it for? Just recreational paddling around the lake? If you plan on fishing or anything like that, I’d pick a bigger boat. I chose the 12 foot Row Me and the farther along I get in the build, the more applications I see for its use. I don’t know if you have built one of these boats before, but the small ones are not to tough to slap together. Shop around the net for epoxy. Most application tools and products you will need can be found at Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Wal Mart and the Dollar Store. Read and re-read the instructions. I don’t want to persuade you on what to build; I just don’t care for canoes and swimming with gators and snakes at my age. That’s for the young. Good luck on whatever you decide to make. If I can do it, anyone can!

stumpy

Post by stumpy »

I fit the old and fat category as well,and still get out to fish in my kayak as often as possible. the plans I've used from glenl are just as easy as they would have you believe, as long as you follow the directions to the letter, you'l have no problems. the first boat I built was the rob roy, and being a bit cocky, decided that i didn't need the 2X4 stiffener in the construction, thinking that a bit more rocker would give me some additional maneuverability. It did, but made the boat really tippy, and more maneuverable than I ever would need. my second attempt, I followed the directions, and no problems. I love small boats, and "going for a ride" with a 20# striper is a thrill!

Return to “Human Power”