Sissy do

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

Sted113

Sissy do

Post by Sted113 »

Hey y’all, I’m new to this forum so sorry if I posted wrong. Anyway, I was looking at the Sissy do skiff materials list,, and noticed that a lot of different wood is required. The first section of the list has the measurements and wood type, and then it switches to plywood. Are those measurements and cuts made from the plywood? I’ve included a image with the items I’m talking about.
Ibrew2be

Re: Sissy do

Post by Ibrew2be »

Sted:
Welcome to the forum. I don't think you have enough posts yet to be able to post pictures. I think you need 3 posts.

I'm not completely clear on what you're finding confusing, but let me offer this. The materials list tells you how many sheets of the various thicknesses of plywood would be needed in order to cut the parts needed for construction. In practice, I think you will find that 4x8 ft is the standard size for plywood available these days.

You will need one 4x8x3/4" sheet of plywood from which you would cut the stem, the transom, the seats, and the breasthook. The plans for the boat provide the actual shape for each of these parts.

The side planking requires 2 sheets of 4x8x1/4" plywood to cut the two sides of the boat, i.e. one for each side. The bottom planking requires 2 sheets of 4x8x3/4" plywood.

I hope this helps at least a bit. Perhaps if you could elaborate on your question further we could provide more guidance.

Barry
Barry Shantz

IMP built and launched.

Slowly building Ken Bassett's Rascal
Sted113

Post by Sted113 »

Thank you, this explains a lot
DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Sted113: The top section of the materials list is dimensional lumber, ie seat frame, transom frame, chine, keel, battens, etc. The measurements are nominal. These are not cut from plywood. The stem, transom, seats and breasthook are cut from the plywood.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."
woodman

Post by woodman »

The bottom of Sissy Do is actually 3/8" ply not the 3/4" as stated below.
Ibrew2be wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:53 pm Sted:
Welcome to the forum. I don't think you have enough posts yet to be able to post pictures. I think you need 3 posts.

I'm not completely clear on what you're finding confusing, but let me offer this. The materials list tells you how many sheets of the various thicknesses of plywood would be needed in order to cut the parts needed for construction. In practice, I think you will find that 4x8 ft is the standard size for plywood available these days.

You will need one 4x8x3/4" sheet of plywood from which you would cut the stem, the transom, the seats, and the breasthook. The plans for the boat provide the actual shape for each of these parts.

The side planking requires 2 sheets of 4x8x1/4" plywood to cut the two sides of the boat, i.e. one for each side. The bottom planking requires 2 sheets of 4x8x3/4" plywood.

I hope this helps at least a bit. Perhaps if you could elaborate on your question further we could provide more guidance.

Barry

Return to “Human Power”