row me 12 anyone?

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

kalbo

row me 12 anyone?

Post by kalbo »

Has anybody built this boat? I would like to know any pros or cons about it. I have the plans for it and several other boats. I was looking for a boat that would hold 2 people and some hunting gear be used for trips up the rivers. Has anyone had it out in choppy water. If so, how did it handle? Does anyone know what the safe load capacity is? :shock:

kalbo

Post by kalbo »

I read on the web site "General building and design questions will be answered in the Boatbuilder Forum, by other builders who have recently dealt with the same question or by our experts" Iguess nobody has built the Row Me? Anybody?

weber

Post by weber »

I have no experience with Row Me, but I thought I would mention that sometimes it might take a few days to get a question answered.

If the weather permits, I would hope that everyone is working on builds, rather than in the house, typing on a keyboard. :)

thudpucker

Post by thudpucker »

http://glen-l.com/picboards/picarchv.html#scrambler

You might try this link and then look for your RowME.

welshmx

RowMe Super Size

Post by welshmx »

The boat as planned obviously is a sheltered water design. I added six inches of freeboard along with ribs every 16 inches, floor braces and other reinforcements, in addition to the stitch and glue. Once the panels were sewn, I also "stretched" the beam at seat level, raising the floor at stern and bow. I did not increase the length or beam of the floor, but I am a large person and carry a lot of fishing gear such as nets and traps. Otherwise, the increased height might seem tippy or present a high profile in the wind. The RowMe SuperSize really is a sea skiff instead of a lake rowboat. I leave it in the water at the marina and tow it behind a larger boat, so am not concerned with the increased weight. All my additions were spruce, not very heavy, anyway

Michael45

Re: row me 12 anyone?

Post by Michael45 »

Well, I want to post a follow-up to the original post. (My brother) He built the boat which is the yellow one on the Row Me webpage. The boat worked VERY well for him and he put it thru it's paces. However, there are a few things that a person may consider before building it. This was his first boat so he beefed it up a little more than called for in the plans. He lives in Florida where it can rain heavily at times. The boat was on a trailer and it was kind a chore to take it off without taking the engine off first so he bought a cover to put over the boat. It rained multiple times and the boat cover he bought didn't keep the rain out. The boat filled to the top with water more than once. The stress of so much weight in the boat sprung a seam along the back seat and as the seat is the enclosed bench type it filled with water and bubbled the seat top up. It was a mess. He didn't repair it. He now has a 16 ft welded aluminum. :? .. All his troubles would have been avoided if a drain plug had been installed. I don't think the plans called for one but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I am not a fan of the enclosed seats as there is no way to repair them short of cutting it apart if something goes wrong inside of one. I am hoping to build my own Row Me sometime as it is a good design. However, I plan to install a platform type seat with a center brace and leave two hollow voids underneath for a gas tank and other gear. (A drain plug also) I will brace the transom to the floor with a couple of knees. The rear seat, as designed, is way too small for anything more than a floatation compartment. It needs to be twice as wide in my humble opinion..(Old big butt :( ) In fact I doubt I will ever build another stitch and glue boat with the hollow style bench seats. While they provide a measure of safety they are a bugger if anything goes wrong... This is just my opinion so take it for what it is worth. As time goes on I find myself falling more and more away from the stitch and glue designs and getting back to the older glue and screw types. My next boat is going to be the Sissy Do which reminds me of a similar type a friend and I used to build back in the 80's.. They were build from exterior fir plywood with fir framing and titebond glue and brass ring nails. They were so very basic yet those boats we made are still being used today almost 20 years later...I am NOT saying that type of design is better, but it works for me..

Return to “Human Power”