BENDABLE BIRCH 1/8" PLYWOOD

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

donald-deen

BENDABLE BIRCH 1/8" PLYWOOD

Post by donald-deen »

BENDABLE BIRCH 1/8" PLYWOOD. I HAVE FOUND SOME BENDABLE BIRCH AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE POSSIBILITY OF USING IT TO BUILD A CHIPEEWA CANOE. IT WOULD HAVE TO BE CUT CROSS-WAYS ON A 48X96 SHEET OF WOOD. WOULD THE OUTSIDE LAYER OF GRAIN GOING FORE/AFT BE STRONG ENOUGH TO MAKE THE BOAT SEAWORTHY.
IT IS MUCH EASIER TO BEND, IN FACT YOU CAN MAKE A 360 DEGREE CURVE FROM A 5X48" STRIP. HELP :?:

Barry

Post by Barry »

Birch is not amoung the types of wood that are recommended for boatbuilding. I do not know what particular characteriestic make it less desirable, but suspect it has to do with rot resistance.
See: http://www.glen-l.com/wood-plywood/wp-faqs.html#5

Structurally, the material described should be plenty strong when used as described. The weight will likely be more than we call out for the boat.

This type of construction requires that each piece be individually fitted and the widths will vary.[/url]

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

Barry is right, Birch typically has low decay resistance and is usually only used to make interior ply, and this could be another problem, if it's for interior use chances are it's not WBP (water and boil proof, a standard that all exterior and marine ply has to meet), so even if it doesn't rot it may delaminate!
Properly encapsulated this ought not to be a problem, but if water were to get in you could be in real trouble, probably not worth taking the risk.
Are you not able to get marine ply, or at least good quality exterior ply?
Graham in Shepperton, England

Good, Quick, Cheap, pick any two.

Caber_Feidh

Post by Caber_Feidh »

Among wood turners Birch, and Maple are the woods-of-choice for controlled spalting. Spalting is the beginning of fungal decay, while the wood is still strong, and not gone "punky" yet. I have made spalted birch material by simply getting the wood wet, and keeping it in the shade for 30-60 days in the summer. Birch will be heavily spalted in as little as a month with perfect conditions.

Not the ideal wood for marine use, but you sure would have a pretty boat as the black lines began to cover it.

With all the ABA and AAA Baltic birch running around these days it is pretty tempting though, isn't it?

donald-deen

Post by donald-deen »

I thank everyone for their info. So, seems like I have much more to learn about marine wood. I also have a canoe up for sale..cheap

dustymick64

Post by dustymick64 »

I was looking to build a small 8ft skiff awhile ago and could not find any plywood other than some really ugly BC pine. Then I found some beautiful birch plywood that was really inexpensive. I new that it probably wasn't the first choice by any means for boat building but I went ahead anyway. I found it very easy to work with. The thickness was less than 1/4". I glasses it inside and out with epoxy and 4oz cloth. When I was done I had a wonderful little skiff that weighed about 50lbs. It performed like a champ. I have always taken it out of the water when not in use. I have used cheap plywood on many small boats with good results. I would not recommend it for larger power boats though. But again, for the tiny jobs I put together it has worked fine.

dustymick64

Post by dustymick64 »

Just wanted to add something. I don't want to sound like I'm a master boat builder. Very far from it. All of the boats I make are very small and very simple to build. I like to think I'm the king of the cheap 8ft boats. :lol: But some years ago I got the urge to have a small boat. I couldn't afford to buy one so I looked around and found the wonders of stitch and glue boats. I admire the people who can afford to build nice fancy boats with outstanding finishes.They put alot of time and effort into them. But cost should not prohibit one from participating in life. I have always built my cheap little boats out of whatever I could get my hands on. For a small boat I have always been of the opinion, be it right or wrong, that what makes these little boats work most of all is the epoxy... This stuff is amazing. I have used all sorts and types wood, (pine, fir, birch and so on...) and since my little prams and skiffs were never under the stress of a large outboard I never had to worry much about it. As long as the plywood uses exterior glue and there are no glaring voids and huge knot holes I feel safe using it. I store my boats under cover and out of the elements. And I have found that I get a lot of admiring looks when I tell people I build my little boat for a fraction of what they paid for a new one..... I can sell them for enough to build another boat of another design. What could be better? There is nothing that can compare to the feeling one gets when one slides their new boat into the water for the first time. Don't care what size craft it is. And that makes pappy happy! :D

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

There's a lot to be said for cheap simple boats, I wish I'd known when I was younger just how easy it was to build a simple rowboat or canoe, I'd have started earlier than I did and would probably have built dozens by now!
I have an urge to build what must be about the ultimate in cheap and simple boats, the humble Coracle!
With a framework that can be made using the trees that grow in my garden (Willow and Ash), covered in canvas which I can probably pick up free from work, and painted with bitumen which I can scrounge the next time they do some resurfacing work down our road, I don't think you could get much cheaper.
Graham in Shepperton, England

Good, Quick, Cheap, pick any two.

china

Post by china »

:)
London. England.
Building to escape the city !

Return to “Human Power”