Need advice, Ideas on attaching a plywood deck to pontoons

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

Doug in the woods

Need advice, Ideas on attaching a plywood deck to pontoons

Post by Doug in the woods »

am building/designing a pontoon boat that has 2 pontoons with option of adding a 3rd pontoon.
Boat is disassemable (take-a-partable for transportation) so the deck must be removable and easily attached. Bolts are out of the question as ease of assembly (no tools required) is a requirement.
the deck is 1/4 or 3/8 plywood (3x4 sheets) boat when assembled is 12' long and 4ft wide (6ft wide -3 pontoons)
will post pic after I scan pic as the file is a SKETCHUP file
pontoons made using the Geodesic design so estimated weight around 5o pounds entire boat assembled.
my thoughts lean towards using clevis pins. Dezus fasteners would be nice but at $15 per there goes the pocket book.[/img]
Ideas in wood become reality

Doug in the woods

pic of pontoon boat designing/building

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

Why are bolts out of the question? You don't have to use a spanner to tighten a bolt (or nut), if it has a big enough head you can tighten it by hand.
If it were me I think I'd use bolts fitted with large knurled heads, and screw them into drilled and tapped captive plates attached to the pontoons. Alternatively the bolts could have a bar, like on a G-clamp (or C-clamp if you prefer).
I can think of a few other options, but none are quite as positive or as simple as a good tight bolt.

Any chance you could reduce the picture to screen size? It makes it impossible to view the whole picture the size it is, and makes all the subsequent posts harder to read too.
Graham in Shepperton, England

Good, Quick, Cheap, pick any two.

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck »

Have you considered having the deck "hinged" in the middle lengthwise. During transportation the pontoons would come together and almost touch and the deck would form a "tee pee"

Steve

Doug in the woods

am now considering some captive nuts and T-handled or socket

head bolts as suggested.
today I set the first pontoon bulkheads on the beam (to keep things straight) and waiting on epoxy.
trying to figure out how I want to build the ends of each pontoon outa solid wood so if it runs into somethig it won't break etc.
planning on adding oar piviots and making oars with add-on extensions if needed for the 3 pontoon configuration.
Will post some pics tomorrow if I get time.
busy with some church project and bsa summer camp (being a scoutmaster has its rewards I am sure)

Return to “Human Power”