Stripper canoe design and build

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

stanekupnorth

Stripper canoe design and build

Post by stanekupnorth »

Hey I'm just getting into this boat building thing and really like the looks of the stripper canoe that uses stripped boards off of many different species of trees. I am just wondering if anyone has ever attempted this boat design and if so how difficult it is to build. Thanks for any info!
John K

Post by John K »

I have not done a canoe, but finished a kayak this fall. I did the bottom with plywood and the deck is in 1/4 by 3/4 inch strips of cedar. Fiberglassed the cedar and varnish it for a smooth deep finish. It took about 16 hours just to strip the deck. It just takes time and patience
mattr

Post by mattr »

Its not difficult. It does take time and two sets of hands are better than one.

I've just completed a stripper. It took just under a year at one day a week. The results are worth it. I'm now building paddles.
stonehollow

Post by stonehollow »

This is my third stripper - it's not bad at all (tools/methods improved much over the last 35 years)!

Arne
Arne
Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I've been looking for a chance.

John likes pictures you know! :)

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welc ... bFszasWLrI

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build
John Bowen

Post by John Bowen »

Well, it's about time you showed that build off :shock: Only seen it hanging from the rafters of your shop collecting dust(!!) from your pic's of your other build :roll:

Nice work, still :)
One day.
Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

And Boy is it DUSTY! :oops:

Now that we have a gate down at the coast, I need to take it down there and get some use out of it. :wink:
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build
Doug in the woods

Post by Doug in the woods »

Now that looks like a beautiful project!
did you add a toung and grove to each strip then interlock?
never built one so am in the dark. Saw a reference to this method somewhere??
Ideas in wood become reality
Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Doug,

I just left the edges square. The book "Canoe Craft" is an excellant source. It has fiberglass inside and out. CC says to just use a common wood glue strip to strip. The epoxy in the end will take care of the rest.

I cut my own strips. After I did I found you can buy strips with cove and bead... A better job than I could do at about the same price. Oh well.

Bill :)
Tahoe 19 Build
Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

I found you can buy strips with cove and bead... A better job than I could do at about the same price
I've been looking into the cost of strip wood for my next project, and I found the bead and cove was very expensive compared to square strip that I can cut myself.
I'm doing some experiments with different profiles that I can cut myself, a kind of sloppy T&G seems to be the best compromise, self aligning and it doesn't take too much glue, and it's easily cut using just the table saw.
Unfortunately my strip needs to be around 13mm (1/2") thick, and the router cutters for bead and cove are very expensive in that size.
Graham in Shepperton, England

Good, Quick, Cheap, pick any two.
Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

My strips were 1/4" x 3/4" clear Western Cedar. The lumber yard was very proud of the 18' to 20' length boards. I ended up with about $150 in strips and $150 in saw dust (memory). And those 4 pieces of 20' Ash.... Well, I should have at least got a kiss. :shock:

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build
Doug in the woods

Post by Doug in the woods »

maybe a cheaper and easier alternative to an actual T&G joint would be an edge banding joint?
Eagle America which I have many of their bits are pretty good router bits.
I see on page 22 of their August 2k6 cat a edge banding bit set for $80 (2 bits)
cuts a V grove(female) in one and a matching male tounge in other.
the actual tongue and groove bits are $80-$120 for the set.
IMO the 100-9015 set (for 3/4" material would have more forgiviness that say an actual T&G joint.
I just happen to have purchased on sale several months ago the 100-9017 which has an actual tongue for 1/2 price.
Now just need to travel to Missouls Montana to get some clear cedar.
QUESTION how forgiving is one of these strip boats in white water rafting?
being in the whitewater capital of the US of A I might be able to sell a stripper canoe or two?
How much are they worth on the open market?
Ideas in wood become reality
Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I was really into white water for many years. I was even lucky enough to run the Grand Canyon in 1979 & in 1980. :roll: (Long Time Ago, Now.)

These are not boats for banging into rocks. The Tupper Ware boats today are just a lot better for the kind of treatment a river boat gets.

To get an idea of worth. Check out raysdreamboats.com

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build
John Bowen

Post by John Bowen »

Thought I'd throw this your way, flute and bead bits.

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2006/Main/465

:roll:
One day.
stonehollow

Post by stonehollow »

Arne

Return to “Human Power”