Mirage Drive

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

auto5pilot

rudder retired

Post by auto5pilot »

I set that rudder aside and built a kick-up rudder from the description in an old web-letter. It seems that now that the boat is sailing, I'm always wanting more rudder, or more lateral resistance. Pedaling while sailinbg seems to add more lateral resistance but I don't know if that is just an illusion.

and then there is the issue of the drag created by a hole in the bottom of the boat. I've got ideas about center boards and drag reduction that will keep me busy when not on the water.

auto5pilot

mirage drive update

Post by auto5pilot »

I had a "system failure" last winter. I hit something (submerged log or rock) and knocked off the leading flipper. Pedaling got really easy after the front flipper came off. Luckily I found the flipper (I searched for a really long time). It was actually still connected to the drive unit. I never would have found it on the bottom of the lake :)

The actual point of failure is a cotter pin that holds the flipper on. I think I can fix it by simply putting in a new cotter pin. I don't know if I need a stainless cotter-pin, or where I could even find one. It won't be long before I'll need to get serious about fixing it. If anyone knows about SS cotter-pins, please let me know.

Brian Eager

Post by Brian Eager »

I'd start looking for a stainless cotter pin at my local Do-it Best (formerly HWI) hardware store. They seem to come up with an amazing assortment of stuff that I wouldn't imagine them having.
Noah was a first-time boatbuilder

Return to “Human Power”