Joinng plywood at stem

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

blt

Joinng plywood at stem

Post by blt »

I have been doing my research for my first boat project and see that some plans join the plywood at the stem by overlapping the plywood and others meet the edges to form a a gap that is "covered by fiberglass"? Does it matter which method is used? I get the sense that if you overlap the plywood twisting may occur. Many pictures are not clear enough for me to see during the build how they attach the stem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

galamb

Re: Joinng plywood at stem

Post by galamb »

It's kinda a 50/50 thing - and somewhat personal choice.

I overlap then plane (or sand) the join down, either flat if I will put on a "cap" or rounded over if it's getting fiberglass and paint - and never noticed any "twisting".

If you leave a gap that must be filled before finish fairing you probably create more work (and more cost) than if you simply overlapped.

When you do overlap, it is usually just in the last few feet on the stem - farther back on/towards the keel the overlap transitions to a butt joint unless the hull has a very siginificant V along it's entire length...
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

blt

Post by blt »

So, would one side have to be 1/4 inch longer if using 1/4 inch ply?

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow »

you will be fairing (rounding it over), so it will even out, regardless of which side overlaps. (If you don't believe me, draw yourself a simple "top view" picture)
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

blt

Post by blt »

So that 1/4 inch really won't really affect how square the transom lines up in the back? I have found in my woodworking endeavors even an 1/8 in. off can throw dimensions off.

Return to “Human Power”